The Dc Comics Guide To Digitally Drawing Comics Pdf Download Free

Open up Preview

Run into a Problem?

We'd beloved your help. Permit us know what's incorrect with this preview of The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Cartoon Comics by Freddie E. Williams II.

Cheers for telling united states of america about the problem.

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign upward.

Reader Q&A

Be the offset to ask a question about The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics

Community Reviews

 · 545 ratings  · 15 reviews
Start your review of The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
Shopgirl
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pretty cool book, and not also difficult to follow along with. My experience is with GIMP rather than Photoshop, but nigh all of the stuff talked nearly in here I was familiar with and knew how to practice, I just never considered using it this way. This book has made me excited well-nigh trying out digital drawing. The one downside to this book is that information technology stops at the inking stage and doesn't go into doing color (which, I suppose is something he doesn't do, so understandable, though it would have been ni A pretty cool book, and not likewise difficult to follow forth with. My feel is with GIMP rather than Photoshop, but most all of the stuff talked about in here I was familiar with and knew how to practice, I just never considered using it this way. This book has made me excited about trying out digital drawing. The one downside to this volume is that information technology stops at the inking phase and doesn't go into doing color (which, I suppose is something he doesn't do, so understandable, though it would have been nice to have had a co-author who does digital coloring to add a couple chapters well-nigh that at the stop of the book. The cover illustration erroneously leads the casual browser to believe that coloring will exist addressed). Overall though a practiced read. ...more than
Michael Scott
The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Cartoon Comics introduces the reader to three fully or largely digital processes for drawing comics. A professional introduces good technique, proficient tools, with proficient examples. At that place are some proficient quips and good business advice. Null infrequent, though.

Best bit: I liked the best the clarification of the three creative workflows. The fully digital workflow is peculiarly efficient, with roughs, wireframes, and inks all being done digitally. The first hybrid work

The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Cartoon Comics introduces the reader to three fully or largely digital processes for cartoon comics. A professional introduces good technique, good tools, with good examples. There are some good quips and good business advice. Nothing exceptional, though.

Best flake: I liked the best the clarification of the three creative workflows. The fully digital workflow is specially efficient, with roughs, wireframes, and inks all beingness washed digitally. The starting time hybrid workflow starts from digital breakdowns, and proceeds with physical pencils and perhaps too with physical inks; this allows the creator to capitalize on the market for original roughs and inked materials. The second hybrid uses a digital process up to and including wireframes, and and so uses physical (traditional) inking.

Content: The book starts with the big question, Why digital?, which it answers satisfactorily: to improve the speed of the creation process, the precision of the tools, the advice processes with the publisher. Then, the book spends a couple of chapters introducing the digital tools, focusing on Adobe Photoshop; at that place'southward likewise a late chapter on the physical tools for cartoon and inking. The book further covers three artistic workflows, all digital-heavy and one fully digital, and, in turn, master pages and templates, libraries, roughs, wireframes, and inked pages with some coloring tips.

Tools: Equally digital tools, information technology's Apple hardware and operating system, plus Adobe Photoshop (the old version). Tardily in the book, there's a quick reference to Google's SketchUp, for quick 3d prototyping. At that place'southward already a feeling that some things are obsolete, e.g., no Artistic Cloud, no cross-tool operations, etc.

Writing and pedagogy material: Overall, good writing for the high level parts, with proficient details in many places. Gaps in many aspects, particularly pencilling and inking, where the techniques are as well many and also detailed to do justice in this brusk page-count.

Background: function of an ongoing personal project, I'1000 traversing the collection of DC Comics Guides, focusing on:
+ pencilling (The DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics or The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Cartoon Comics, or this read),
+ inking (The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics),
+ coloring and lettering (yup, The DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics), and
+ writing (The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics).

...more
Daniel Te
A solid intro to thinking nigh digitally drawing comics. It definitely feels outdated though, looking at the Windows XP (or is it vii?) interface in the pictures shown. It also only covers Photoshop, where other programs like Clip Studio or Adobe Illustrator would have been dainty to encounter more of equally well. The parts talking about the procedure though (e.g. crude sketching, wireframing, inking) is all the same a solid guide that yet holds upwards, so if simply for that, then it's valuable. Not to mention that the t A solid intro to thinking about digitally drawing comics. It definitely feels outdated though, looking at the Windows XP (or is it vii?) interface in the pictures shown. Information technology besides merely covers Photoshop, where other programs similar Clip Studio or Adobe Illustrator would have been nice to see more than of too. The parts talking well-nigh the process though (eastward.g. rough sketching, wireframing, inking) is nonetheless a solid guide that all the same holds up, then if only for that, so it's valuable. Not to mention that the tricks in Photoshop should nonetheless work also, it just happens that today it has a nicer interface and probably even more tools to use notwithstanding. ...more than
Parka
May 02, 2010 rated information technology it was astonishing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Creative person author Freddie East Williams has been creating comics digitally since 1999. He has put together this great resource targeted at those who intend to create comics on the computer, or looking for ways to streamline their digital workflow. Y'all must already know how to describe to go the most out of this book.

Three types of workflow are discussed, namely the All-Digital Workflow, Pencil Hybrid Workflow and the Ink Hybrid Workflow. Y'all tin choose between these th


(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Creative person author Freddie East Williams has been creating comics digitally since 1999. He has put together this bully resources targeted at those who intend to create comics on the computer, or looking for means to streamline their digital workflow. You must already know how to draw to get the near out of this volume.

Iii types of workflow are discussed, namely the All-Digital Workflow, Pencil Hybrid Workflow and the Ink Hybrid Workflow. You lot can cull between these three to best suit your working environment.

Every tutorial in the volume is explained step-past-step with screenshots and concise instructions. The software used here is Photoshop, but the version is irrelevant. It's easy to follow along every bit he explains on how to create your own Master Page template, or from creating drafts upward to the terminal inking stage. Nothing is left out.

The best role virtually this volume is information technology highlights all sorts of means to harness the power of using the computer, fully taking advantage of what it tin can be made to practice. There are chapters on creating brushes, textures, effects, templates for props and many more. You lot can see how all of these are used in existent examples. There's fifty-fifty a section on creating Actions and Droplets to reduce repetitive tasks, which is an incredible time saver.

There are loads of tips everywhere. Ane detail one helped me very much. There are times when I draw two characters merely they are of a different size. So I scaled one upward only now the thickness of the line is besides scaled up. This volume even has a solution to brand that line thickness friction match!

The only affair this volume doesn't cover is peradventure colouring tips. That shouldn't exist a problem after yous've mastered all the techniques in the volume anyhow.

This volume is really skillful. Yous're bound to learn something regardless of your level in art. And if you take only been using the figurer lightly for comic work, this volume volition present to you all sorts of possibilities.

...more than
John Kirk
November 29, 2013 rated information technology really liked it
In that location'south a lot of useful information here, and I'chiliad glad I bought the book (rather than only borrowing it) so that I can refer dorsum to it subsequently. However, you need to understand the scope. This volume targets a particular niche, and it'south actually about logistics. He refers to a couple of other DC guides in the series for more than information nearly pencilling and inking. So, this book won't teach you how to draw, but if you tin already draw (on paper) then he'll teach you lot how to do information technology digitally.

The writer t

There'south a lot of useful information here, and I'one thousand glad I bought the book (rather than merely borrowing it) so that I can refer back to it later. However, you need to empathise the scope. This volume targets a particular niche, and it'south really near logistics. He refers to a couple of other DC guides in the serial for more than data about pencilling and inking. So, this book won't teach yous how to draw, but if yous tin already depict (on paper) and so he'll teach you how to practise it digitally.

The writer talks about a few different workflows: drawing everything digitally, or doing traditional pencils then digital ink, or digital pencils then traditional inks. He besides goes into a lot of detail about setting upward layers/groups in Photoshop to shop files at each stage of the procedure, and covers the nitty-gritty detail, e.g. the specific hue/saturation settings that you need to represent a "non-photo blueish" pencil (lines that don't get photocopied). Some of these details did go over my caput, so it took me a while to slog through a couple of the capacity. However, I call back that's because I'thousand a relative beginner to Photoshop; someone who's more experienced (hopefully my time to come self!) should become a lot more out of those chapters.

...more
Eric
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad that it was, too, considering I believe information technology's the simply book that covers creating digital comics then thoroughly. There's apparently more than tin can be contained here, but I'd list this as essential. Might check out the forthcoming digital color book DC is doing too.

The i thing this volume did for me is brand the whole process achievable. I can see from showtime to finish how I could do this and that's huge. It's withal a lot of work, merely now I tin can run into the light at

This was exactly what I was looking for. I'chiliad glad that it was, too, because I believe it's the only book that covers creating digital comics and then thoroughly. There's plainly more than than can be contained here, merely I'd listing this as essential. Might check out the forthcoming digital color volume DC is doing besides.

The i thing this volume did for me is make the whole process doable. I can see from start to finish how I could do this and that's huge. It'southward still a lot of work, only at present I can run into the light at the end of the tunnel. Too this book opened my eyes to things I would have considered "cheating." It's almost every bit if I needed permission and now I have it :)

In that location was some info well-nigh automating a lot of steps in Photoshop (beyond basic deportment) which sounded intriguing, but I don't see that I have a apply for it unless I get into a high pressure level production timeline.

...more
Bob Bello
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic artists
Recommended to Bob by: Amazon
This volume takes y'all where no traditional comic artist has gone before! Freddie explains painstakingly everything you need to know to create stunning, modern-day graphic novels in Photoshop. The book is virtually loaded with information and stride-past-step tutorials, unlocking secrets of digital fine art, tricks, effects, and even 3D manipulation in 2d graphics manner. If you want to know how to do it digitally or tradigitally (i.e., hybrid), I strongly recommend this volume, a masterpiece on the subject area! If This book takes you where no traditional comic artist has gone before! Freddie explains painstakingly everything you need to know to create stunning, modern-day graphic novels in Photoshop. The book is about loaded with data and footstep-past-step tutorials, unlocking secrets of digital art, tricks, effects, and even 3D manipulation in 2D graphics mode. If y'all want to know how to do it digitally or tradigitally (i.e., hybrid), I strongly recommend this book, a masterpiece on the subject! If y'all want to do information technology fully traditionally, then I recommend The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics. Both brand a priceless companion to any novice and gorging graphic novelist! ...more
Stasia
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Very specific and instructive. I really got into the mindset of a professional comic book artist. Although, since I'g a graphic designer, some of the Photoshop settings and tool explanations had to be skipped over. And sometimes I didn't really understand why Williams did things a certain way, when I would have done it completely differently (and in my opinion, much more than efficiently). But each to his/her own, I like that he wasn't didactic about his method, and he didn't make information technology se Crawly volume. Very specific and instructive. I really got into the mindset of a professional person comic volume creative person. Although, since I'm a graphic designer, some of the Photoshop settings and tool explanations had to exist skipped over. And sometimes I didn't actually understand why Williams did things a sure way, when I would accept done it completely differently (and in my opinion, much more efficiently). Just each to his/her own, I similar that he wasn't didactic nigh his method, and he didn't make it seem that this manner is the only way. All in all, an incredibly useful read for anyone looking to know the nitty gritty of drawing digitally. ...more than
Serge Pierro
An interesting approach to doing comic books digitally. Although it focuses on using Photoshop, whatever similar graphic software could be used. The well-nigh interesting aspect of the book was his use of his "cardboard cutouts" and his technique for doing background compages. This approach is more akin to working on cel animations, than traditional comic book techniques. I await forward to reading some of the other books in the "DC Comics Guide to" series. An interesting approach to doing comic books digitally. Although it focuses on using Photoshop, any similar graphic software could be used. The most interesting attribute of the book was his use of his "cardboard cutouts" and his technique for doing background architecture. This approach is more akin to working on cel animations, than traditional comic book techniques. I expect forwards to reading some of the other books in the "DC Comics Guide to" series. ...more
Tracy
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A skillful identify for me to start - I'm well versed in Photoshop and wanted a workflow. A few helpful recommendations on which tools to apply for each stride. Directions were sometimes a fleck hard to follow despite beingness very familiar with PS. A expert place for me to outset - I'g well versed in Photoshop and wanted a workflow. A few helpful recommendations on which tools to use for each pace. Directions were sometimes a scrap difficult to follow despite being very familiar with PS. ...more
Cindy
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a corking resources with really helpful step-by-footstep instructions on how to digitally create comics. I learned many things I'd struggled to effigy out on my own and will definitely be buying this in the about time to come. This was a great resources with really helpful stride-by-step instructions on how to digitally create comics. I learned many things I'd struggled to figure out on my own and will definitely be ownership this in the most future. ...more
Maurice
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Information technology was ok. Mayhap it'southward for people looking for something different than I was, but I took some pointers out of information technology. Pretty easy to get through, didn't take long. Information technology was ok. Maybe information technology's for people looking for something different than I was, but I took some pointers out of it. Pretty easy to go through, didn't accept long. ...more
Jaime
December 14, 2015 rated it it was astonishing
Great read, could have hands have been 3x the size. Lots of interesting details too as tips and tricks to get you started.
Josh Storey
I cannot recommend these books enough. They really are height notch guides. I've read two so far, and I've extensively annotated both. I cannot recommend these books enough. They really are top notch guides. I've read 2 then far, and I've extensively annotated both. ...more
Vyhvghvngvghmbhgfdchtfjyg Bjgunbghjbgh
Gogospirit
Alexander Nguyen
Jonathan Alan Cortez
Chaossquid
Mike Hoy
Enmanuel Rodriguez
Erik Lehman
American comic volume author and creative person. Best known for his work on DC Comics, and for working almost entirely in Digital format. He was hired for several problems of Seven Soldiers featuring Mister Miracle, for which he won an Eisner Honour.

Other books in the series

News & Interviews

Need another excuse to treat yourself to a new book this week? We've got y'all covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...

Welcome back. But a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads business relationship.

Login animation

DOWNLOAD HERE

Posted by: webbancessitneve1958.blogspot.com